Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Hand Muff for a little person

When I was a little girl I had a muff that I carried to keep my hands warm.  With all of the repurposing ideas floating around, I decided to have some fun with a pair of my wool socks having a hole in the heal.  First I cut the top (luckily these have stripes and it made that easy) right above the heal and I gently zigzaged a hem in each top.  These will make little leggings for my granddaughter.  Be careful not to stretch too much but you will get a little bit of a flair.  I have done this with socks before.  Now come the new creative part.
Then I cut the foot just below the heal part.  Obviously the heal is scrap and I threw that bit away.  Now about the hand muffs-  Turn the socks inside out so that the right side of the sock will be where the little hands will go.  I then overlapped the toes of the socks so that inside the muff the little fingers will ouch easily.


I tucked the outside tube into one end of the sock tube and stitched by machine.  Then pull the outside out and turn it over the inside tube.  I hand stitched the other end to finish.

 I made a tube with scrap of quilting batting.  This is wool batting so I wanted the extra warmth.  I stitched around each end of the tube which was wide enough to match the cut end of each sock.  The tube is about 10 inches long.  I then took a scrap of some soft fuzzy material and made another tube by stitching the right sides together.

2 comments:

  1. Very clever. And cute. I have more scraps of the fuzzy stuff if you need more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How creative... love the socks and what a fun way to repurpose them! Growing up in Oklahoma I never had a a muff and as active and outdoorsy as I was growing up I would probably have lost it but you having had one and with your artistic eye you were able to make something delightful for your granddaughter.

    Thank you for sharing!

    Helen

    ReplyDelete